Thursday, April 21, 2016

Week 7 - April 4, 2016

HIIII! People of Arizona, Idaho, Texas, and....wherever else you are! Sister Pickett here! 

Oh my the weather has been celestial worthy this week! Yes! 

Yes, it was Spring Break for all of Virginia this week. For some reason- spring break has brought all the crazies out! Haha everyday is interesting. I don't ever have enough time to write down in a little email what experiences I have gone through these past almost 2 months. But let me tell you- they are goood. Sister Pickett is doing so good. She is happy. A little discouraged at times- but it comes with the job. I love everything. I am just such a happier person than I was a few months ago. I don't think negatively anymore. The way I speak to others is much improved. I just feel like I am overall.. A better me. A better Kristine. oops I mean Sister Pickett... but you know what I mean:)

Highlights~

1. We met this less active this week. His name is Michael. He is from Colorado. He is THE sweetest guy ever. His daughter is a missionary in Kentucky and she sent us a referral to go see him. So glad she did. He works 
 2 jobs. From 7am to 2am. He has agreed to take the lessons again from us! We get to his apartment and walk in and... there was absolutely nothing in there. He had nothing. We sat on the ground and taught him. I felt so bad. At the end of the lesson we asked if there was anything we could do. He hesitated and looked at the floor for a while and softly said, " If you could get me a table, vacuum, and futon for my son to sleep on, that would really help because I have no money for furniture. Turns out his wife died a few years ago and he recently decided he wanted to start over- fresh start- and moved out here to VA Beach but didn't bring anything with him. We prayed for a miracle. Who in the world is going to have a random table, vacuum, or futon sitting around they would like to give to Michael? Well. After days of praying. We walk into weekly coordination meeting and we tell our ward mission leader about the situation. His reply? " I got it. All of it. Is he home from work right now? We can take it tonight before it rains." My mouth dropped and tears filled my eyes. It was a miracle. Heavenly Father is so good to us. Prayer works. I am just so grateful for our ward mission leader too! Michael now has some furniture in his new apartment and we can't wait to meet with him again. 

2. We had another lesson with the deaf family in our ward. ASL is a struggle let me tell you! But mine is coming along! I thought when my mission call said- "English speaking" nope. wrong. So far if had to (somewhat) try to speak Spanish, Chinese, ASL, and "southerner"- yes that counts. I love it though! I wouldn't trade this missionary experience for anything!

3. Grandma Suzie left VA Beach for a couple months to Tuscan Arizona to visit her grand kids! I told he to say hi to all my dear beloved AZ peeps! So watch out AZ! Gma Suzie is coming for ya!!

4. Ya Ling was so cute this week. She surprised us with Ben & Jerry's ice cream pints. My fav!!! But it wasn't until she put them in front of us that we felt really bad. They were mocha flavored. Um. We had no idea how to explain this to her. So we pulled out a Word of Wisdom pamphlet and tried to explain it with the really thick language barrier. When she finally caught on to what we were trying to tell her.. she felt so embarrassed! But we gave her a big hug and showed our gratitude for her thoughtfulness! Love that little lady!

5. Our cute little Italian less active, Sister Terry with the little dog, Kenny, made for a fun visit this week! She made us banana bread. A HUGE BANANA BREAD CAKE. We shared half with the elders because we couldn't eat it all. I loved people out here in VA like Sister Terry. They don't have much. They work all day long. But yet they take time out of there busy lives to put a smile on someones face. Like making them a gigantic banana bread cake. It was so good by the way.

6. Highlight of all highlights: GENERAL CONFERENCE!! Never in my entire life have a ever been so excited to hear our beloved prophet and apostles talk to us. It felt like Christmas morning. We went to the stake center - they had it all set up for the missionaries to watch! I took pages and pages of notes. Then after the Saturday morning session we walk out past the kitchen and there was a tower of pizza sitting there. Some sweet member brought us some lunch! Ohhhh thank you!! Let's just say...missionaries can EAT! They ( the elders haha let me clarify) downed those pizzas! All is well! 

My favorite talk was by Jeffery R. Holland. He talk touched my heart. So deep. I could feel my heart literally full of love. Love for my family, my friends, my animals, my companion, the people we teach, the ward members, especially for General Conference. It has NOT been an easy life for the past almost 2 months. I have never doubt myself so much, cried so much, studied so much, prayed so much, talk to random people so much, loved so much, showed gratitude so much EVER in my life. But what Elder Holland said in his message assured to me, Sister Pickett, -the little Arizona girl- was called of God to serve a full time mission. For right now, in Virginia Beach Virginia. With Sister Rawlings. Boom. No questions asked. I am here for a purpose. Bringing all the people I can to come unto Christ. 

7. We got to go to the beach this morning with the other sisters! SO MUCH FUN! North Virgnina Beach is so beautiful! I promised myself I will come back one day and stay in the super nice hotels on that beach! So sad we couldn't go in the water but it was gorgeous! We had such a good time! Then we went to " Duck Donuts" after and that was off the chain! I pretty sure my dad would love it! Fresh hot homemade donuts made in front of you! Yes.

8. We also got to go to the Cape Henry Lighthouses today on the Little Creek military base. One of the military relations missionaries took us there. ( we got connections haha) That was SO COOL. It was the first lighthouse to be built in the United States. The view from up top was amazing! My legs are gonna be so sore tomorrow though haha. Too many stairs. 191 to be exact!

Well It is sadly time to close. If you haven't watched General Conference yet- WATCH IT. It will bless you life. That's why it is there. If you haven't been reading your scriptures- READ THEM. They will help you through anything. If you haven't been praying- OH YOU BETTER DO IT!! Prayer works. Pray with real intent. With everything you got. Heavenly Father will hear you. He will answer you. 

Love one another and Jesus loves you. Try to show kindness in ALL that you do. But gentle and loving in deed and in thought. For these are the things Jesus taught.
I love you all with all my heart. 

Hugs and Kisses from Virginia Beach!

Sister Pickett


                                           1.) North Virginia Beach!! So pretty!


                     2.) Love my sistas. Sister Marstella, Sister Gowans, Me, Sister Weibye



                        3.) Me in front of the famous Neptune statue. I was cold, ok?

                                           4.) Companion, Sister Rawlings


1.) This is what a normal drive down the street looks like. No big deal. The trees are absolutely breath taking. 


2.) Us at the top! DON'T LOOK DOWN!!



3.) My fav lighthouse. Isn't it so cute?




4.) Selfie pro



No comments:

Post a Comment