Monday, March 28, 2016

Week 6 - March 28, 2016

Hey Y'all!!! Sister Pickett here! I may or may not be currently melting cause it's so dang humid outside but oh well! I love Virginia Beach!! It's my home now! This week has been so much better- except for yesterday I had a bit of a rough day. It was my first holiday away from my family and it was just sad. But only positivity in this email people!! You've got to have the rainy days to appreciate the sunny days more!! Am I right? Ok... you ready for this? Lets goooooooo!!

So Monday. We got to go to Mt. Trashmore! It was a super pretty park by the water and we got to go with the other sisters in the area. So fun! These girls are literally my sisters. We spend a couple hours there just talking, swinging, and playing games. Then of course what else do you do after you play outside? Go get fro yo! Duh?!? We went to Yo Mama- the local frozen yogurt place. If you guess the weight of your yogurt , you get it free! Sadly, I was way off.. Then sadly P-day ended and we went over to one of our dear less actives house for dinner.
 
Mt Trashmore with the Sistas!
Tuesday- We had a busy busy day! We did our usual studying and the we had an appointment with our new investigator, Jane. We went with a member and we walked in and tried to get started, but she wanted nothing to do with the Book of Mormon or anything Mormon. She has been Catholic all her life and she was just not having it AT ALL. I panicked. People have slammed the door in my face but I have never had someone sit there and flat out tell me that they want nothing to do with the gospel. I was so sad for her. The member that came with us was her neighbor and actually referred us to Jane, so she calmed her down and it got to a point where she would listen. We talked all about the Book of Mormon but she still didn't have the faith in it at all. We left eventually, emotionally drained, but our heads high. We did all we could. And that's what counts. We left the book with her, so we have hope one day, she'll pick it up and read it. Then we moved on to the next house. We saw one of our  less actives that just had a surgery and we went to check on her. She has the St. Bernard that I talked about last email and I got to sit there and pet the dog the whole time we were there. I was in heaven. It's face was so squishy and cute. Until it was time to go and I look down and there was slobber ALL over my skirt. #missionarylife. Then we moved to the next house. Another less active. Also had a dog. This dog peed on my foot ( I was wearing my tan shoes that has decorative holes in them) and my shoe and sock was SOAKED with dog pee. #missionarylife. Moved to the next house. Also had a dog. This dog smelled the pee the whole time we were there. That situation escalated quickly if you know what I mean so they had to put the dog away. #missionarylife. We visited a few more people before going to dinner. Now dinner- we had steaks a with a big ol' sweet potatoe on the side. This steak was bigger than my face. And I got a big face! This lady that fed us is a firefighter. So she doesn't like wimps I was told. so I ate it all. We rolled out of there- trust me. Gain like a solid 5 lbs. Whew! Then we saw this cute little Italian lady that yup! You guessed it. Had a dog. This dog loved me! not just my shoes! (I had changed shoes by now thank goodness) We then tried to visit our investigators house but he wasn't home. We really needed to talk to him so we tracked him down. We figured he would be at the Bishops house (he is dating the Bishops daughter) So we went over to Bishops and BOOM! There he was. We missed him and had a good chat. Hopefully we can see him this week!
 
 
Wednesday- We finally saw Julio- one of our investigators. We went to the lesson with a lady in our ward ( haven't met her before) - who come to find out has an Australian accent. YES!! She was the cutest and gave Julio so much love! He is going through a tough time so I hope we helped lift his spirit.  Later we had a conference call with the mission president and his wife. It was also with all the missionaries I came out with. We all talked about some of our experiences we've had while out in the field. I was a little nervous waiting for my turn to share- but I nailed it. No worries. We then went to Chick fil a with Grandma Suzie in our ward. Good times. And then we went to a recent converts house to share a message with them. The guy loves to talk and he loves to collect things. So you know that movie "Red Dawn" apparently the main guy had a gun with him all the time. This recent convert has the actual gun ( AK47)  they used in the movie. He got it off of some auction website. I was gonna take a picture with it to send to my dad cause he would love that! But I didn't think I was allowed. Turns out I can hahah! so dad- next time we go over there I take a picture with it for ya ok? We then went to Ya Ling's. I tried to get her to take a picture with me but she's shy. One day I will get one. one day. She's too cute.  Then we visited a family we visit every week. The dad goes, " Sisters? Can I personal train you on your P-days?) ....oh btw he is a personal trainer.... his wife goes, " Are you calling them fat?" We all laughed haha. I guess that may happen...but I'm not sure?!?
 

Grandma Suzie! Isn't she the cutest little thing?!?
Thursday- was our weekly planning day so we didn't do much. We did have tamales for dinner! They were good! Reminded me of home! Then we had our usual coordination meeting with the elders and our mission president. It was a funny meeting. We all had some funny things happen to us this week!!
 
Friday- ok. So our district leader had called us a few nights before and asked to talk to me. He told me that for district meeting on Friday I was going to be giving a training. A training is when you get up in front of everyone and "train" the missionaries on something in Preach my Gospel. I was speechless. What?!?!?! You realize that I've only been our here for like 3 weeks right? And you want me to get up in front of all those experienced missionaries and train them? I didn't understand. I thought to myself. Man. Heavenly Father has the best sense of humor. First- I hurt my back, then allergies, then I had a rough week with everything, then I found out I have to go on splits with the sister training leaders next week and stay in my area (that usually never happens- but it does to me hahaha), and now this???? I was so scared. It was about being bold when extending commitments. So. I did it. I did the training. And it went really good if I must say. It wasn't me though. Heavenly Father definitely helped me. It was a growing experience for sure. At the end of it I told everyone my dad signed his email one time with " Be bold with a heart of gold" Everyone wrote that down. It was cool. Then my district leader later on called me up and do a role play on asking someone to be baptized before even teaching the Restoration. What? Is he trying to kill me? In front of everyone? I had never done that before? it was a fail and I felt so bad. I was just a little greenie missionary. Why was everyone being so hard on me? Then it dawned on me. Heavenly Father wants me to be the best missionary I can be? How would I grown and learn and get to that point- if I wasn't pushed? My district leader was actually doing me a favor. Even though I was embarrassed that it didn't go well, I learned from my mistakes. And isn't that the point? Anyways.. haha. We went to Wendy's for lunch. My companion thought it would make me feel better. It did. hahahaha. The rest of the day we helped a lady in our ward move. She took us to a Mexican restaurant for dinner- Mi Castita. It was sooooo good. As we were leaving, an ambulance pulled up. There was someone inside that needed some dinner????? It was so funny. This lady was on her way to the hospital and stopped for a burrito haha. Nice.
 
Saturday- We saw one of our less actives. During our lesson with her- her cat that had apparently been gone for a while came to the back door. We let it in. and it had lost a leg. It was so sad. Looked like it got run over by a car or something. She took it to the vet later and hopefully it will be ok. It's a cute little kitty. We went to another less active's house and we cut her hair! I was pretty proud of myself! here's the thing- as a missionary...people trust you. They even trust you to cut their hair!!! Then my mom had sent a cute Easter package to me and sent things to make Easter sugar cookies so we made and decorated those! we passed them out at church the next day, everyone loved them! Then our stake had a Relief Society dinner before the broadcast, that was fun! Then we went into the chapel and watched the broadcast. I was a little sad to not be with my mom, sisters, grandma, cousins, and aunts, but it was fun and I loved all the speakers! Even cute little Henry B Eyring!

Sunday- We had our early morning meeting with the Bishop, the church, then we went home and studied, then went to a member's house for dinner. Nothing special. I was so sad yesterday. I missed my family so much. It didn't feel like Easter at all. But I knew that I just needed to sit up, hold you head high, and say a little prayer in my head to keep my family safe and protected, and then go to work. I felt better after a while, once we went out and visited some people  I realized that I'm a missionary and I will be able to have many more Easters with my family, but I only have so long as a missionary!

Easter Goodies! I love love love MAIL!!!
Well that's it for this week! I love you all so much and I pray for each one of you! Read Alma 34: 8-9. It has been my favorite scripture this week!

Address: Cause you know I love mail!! (contact Penni or Todd)

Love you another!!
Be bold with a heart of gold!
 

 
Sister Pickett

Virginia Beach
 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sooooo sorry for not writing my girl, please forgive me. We think of you and prayer for you daily. I am so proud of you Ms Kristine, God made you extra special you know that. Please remember you can do all things when we are relying on Christ and not solely on our own capabilities or the lack there of. We can do hard things. I have learned that nothing that truly matters in this life comes by obtaining things that come easy. As difficult the trials may be which can often feel like a very high steep mountain that appears to be impossible to us is always "Possible" with him. He is the master of defying the impossible. I love you my sweet niece.
    Love Aunt Jo Jo

    ReplyDelete