Monday, March 21, 2016

Week 5 - March 21, 2016

Rain, rain, love the rain!!!!
Hi everyone! How's the sunshine? Haven't seen too much of that stuff this week! I love the rain though! Good thing we have a car haha! This week was kinda hard for me. I've been struggling with a few things and that has made for a long week. I haven't really been homesick till now and I keep having this thoughts of, " I don't think I can do this." Being a new missionary is hard. It feels like once I start getting the hang of things, I mess up. But it's amazing that just reading one scripture or saying a prayer can change everything. Plus the members here are AMAZING. Having support and love from them- also the love and support from home keeps me going and makes me think. " I got this. I'm not giving up. Let's do this thing."  But now for the good stuff..
This week: Highlights list!

Highlights:

-We had to go wash the car. Not only wash it..... but wax it too. I'm officially a pro. And check all the car parts and organize the paper work inside. Phew!
-I asked our new investigator to be baptized (so scary btw.. harder than it looks haha) ... she said no/maybe...so I'll keep trying:)
-The Relief Society Dinner our ward put together was so fun! Chicken salad sandwiches, fruit kabobs, veggie cups, and birthday cake. YES.
- We had Zone conference this week! The mission president and his wife came and they did AMAZING trainings with us. Definitely became a better missionary after that!
- Sister Rawlings and I got 1st place for the " cleanest car in the mission" YES!!!
- Our ward provided lunch for the Zone conference too! Can you guess what we had? Chicken salad sandwiches, fruit kabobs, and veggie cups. I wasn't complaining, ha it was good even the second time around!
 

Ward Relief Society Birthday dinner! SO fun! (btw the one man that is in the pic haha that's the  Bishop!!)
 
 
-The members of the ward are amazing! We were fed every night this week! I love dinner appointments!
- Top dinner appointment: We went to this couple's house that just had a baby- he is so cute! They made us meat and potatoes. We started eating and it was soooo good. The flavoring tasted different then what I've had before, so I asked. "What did you put on these! It's so good"  She told me some basic ingredients and the her husband chimed in, "and she put a whole can of beer in there." What. hahaha. Ok! She insisted that the alcohol cooks out.. so we trusted her and.....kept eating cause we were soo hungry! Life as a missionary.. haha it could be a movie.
-We went to visit this less active in our ward. Neither of us had met her. We knocked and she answered the door. My mouth dropped. I seriously thought it was Ronda Rousey (a UFC fighter)  for a second. Haha. It wasn't her. But it was definitely her doppelganger!!!! That lady was so funny and we had a great lesson!
- We helped a less active sister unpack some boxes she still had from them moving. She made us this sandwich for lunch.. let me set this up for ya: 2 big pieces of bread toasted with butter, fried salami, fried Mexican cheese, avocado, tomatoes, bell pepper, onion, cilantro, mayo, and ketchup. Then a banana protein shake. It was SO GOOD. We were stuffed for the rest of the day haha.
 We FINALLY saw one of our investigators that we've been trying to see since I got here. We made some progress! Hopefully we can start getting him to church again! Fingers crossed!
-One our favorite members, Diane, (she reminds me so much of my older sister and her husband reminds me of my brother in law) tried out for a play and we got to be here "practice judges" she got a callback so we are so excited for her!!
-The elders in our ward had a baptism Friday night. My first missionary baptism! It was so cool and the spirit was so strong. So many came to support the boy getting baptized and he was glowing cause he was so happy!
- Saturday morning we helped with the Stake Food Order (bishop's storehouse delivery) That was SO MUCH FUN! We are gonna go every month because it was so great! So many funny things happened and I just love service so much! I got to take one of the people around the get what they ordered and he didn't want any of the deodorant he ordered.. so I may have just slipped one in there anyways haha oops.
 
-We helped a cute lady in our ward pack up to move and we are expert packers now haha. We live right next to Little Creek military base so everyone is constantly moving around so there is always someone that needs help to pack!
-A member took us to Jason's Deli for dinner one night and we got free ice cream. It was soft serve with the cake cones- YESSS. SCORE.
-Last but not least, last night we were told that us and the elders in our ward get to be the Ward Chili Cook Off judges!!! YESS. We are soooooooooo flippin excited for that you have no idea. Apparently it's super competitive and some member's chili takes 4 days to make. That's some serious dedication there!! So stoked for that!


Anyways, I love every single one of you so much and I want to thank you all for the love and prayers. I love the mission so much, even if it is so hard some days, it has made me into a completely different person then I was one month ago. I love this gospel. I love Virginia Beach!

Don't forget to send me mail. Missionaries love mail!!!

Hugs and kisses from Virginia Beach!

Love one another!
 
Sister Pickett

 I assume a dinner appointment. - I asked Kristine and she said "The Harpers sent it.
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment